Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Progresso Recipe Starters Creamy Roasted Garlic


Alright I had to try another can of Progresso Recipe Starters. Being a member of BzzAgent is pretty amazing and you may recall my previous post about Progresso Recipe Starters and the meal we made. Well, because it turned out so well, I decided to try a different can. I remember seeing a chicken breast that looked delicious so I used one of the $.75 off coupons on a different flavor. By the way, it was over $2.50 not on sale, so I'm not sure this is something we'll keep stocked in our pantry, unless the price goes down. I have seen some coupons in 2 Sunday papers so I have a feeling there is the potential for some good sales, but we'll see.

Anyway, I picked up the Creamy Roasted Garlic thinking this would be the flavor we needed. The recipe listed on the can was for Chicken Pot Pie and that wasn't what I was craving. I checked out the other recipes at Progresso, but nothing was sticking out. I got online and FBed the BzzAgent page for meal ideas, no response. So I was on my own. I searched my pantry and this is what I came up with:


I knew I wanted chicken and I wanted it topped with something so I created Cheesy Garlic Chicken. We served it with rice and corn on the cob. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1 can Progresso Creamy Roasted Garlic Recipe Starters
Swiss Cheese
French Fried Onions
Garlic Powder
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
In a large skillet on Medium-High pan heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder (probably 1/4 tsp per chicken breast). Brown chicken on both sides about 5 minutes each side. Once it's all nice and brown, pour in the Recipe Starter, pouring over each chicken breast and the rest around the chicken. Pop a lid on the pan and let simmer on Medium-Low heat for about 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. 

Once it's cooked, top with slices of Swiss cheese and french fried onions. Put lid back on until cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite sides!

In the pan

Plated up

Family Review:
My husband didn't like the Swiss cheese on it, but I love the taste of melted Swiss. The onions added a nice crunch to the top. The sauce was flavorful but pretty runny. As you can see here:


My husband also didn't like that there wasn't much sauce on top of the chicken. I did have a lot left in the pan, so I could have poured more overtop the chicken. Neither of my kids really ate it, but they're picky eaters. My oldest scraped the toppings off the chicken and ate it. If I try this recipe again, next time I'll cut the chicken up, top the whole pan with shredded cheese and onions and serve it over rice or noodles. I don't think I'll purchase this particular flavor again. The garlic smell was good, but I felt like I was limited in recipe options. I think the meal I just made could be made with any other Recipe Starter so it's a pretty versatile recipe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment