Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mysterious Ways

One of my favorite quotes is "The Lord works in mysterious ways." Quick....name that movie.




Give up?



Blue Brothers. Classic. If you haven't seen it, go rent it right now!

Ok probably not right now, but you know what I mean. Anyway, this is SOOOO true. He really does. When we started this TMM (Total Money Makeover) I was very discouraged with how long it was going to take us to pay off our $55,000 in debt. That number is HUGE! I used Dave Ramsey's free debt-snowball calculator to see how long it would take us and it estimated payments until 2025 or something. Way too far off in the future. Now that we're on a written budget and I am telling my money what to do, we keep ended up with extra money each month. Mike's checks are bigger than I budget, our bills are smaller than I budget. So the next item we're attacking is my car loan.

We had to get a car back in 2009 because my trusty Dodge Shadow died. It was more to fix than the car was worth and us, in our debt-filled ignorance, financed a used car. We did pay $1000 down, which helped, but it was our first car loan in our relationship history. And then the next year we got Mike a used truck. And now we have $20,000 in car loans. I'm sure if we called Dave he'd say to sell the truck, but we're just going to pay it off. I'm still full-force on being out of debt in 3 years, including all car loans and student loans.

And it seems like the Lord is willing to help. He's showing us that by not living beyond our means, we can accomplish our goals. I have a whole new outlook on "things". "Things" aren't important. Ya, I like to have nice "things" and I like to look back at old "things" to remember fun times, but the most important thing, especially right now, is that we're able to provide for our family to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. All the other "things" we'll be able to get one day...when we're not a slave to the bank.

This month alone I'm throwing 5 EXTRA car payments at my car. That means there's only 37 payments left to go. We can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment