Friday, May 3, 2013

The Help & Rosa Park's Peanut Butter Pancakes

I finished reading The Help yesterday. It's one of those books that you read and next thing you know you're halfway through. I enjoyed it and cried at the end. And I've been in a historical book phase right now. I like immersing myself into a different era and realizing how much has changed. Honestly, sometimes I wish I was born in a different generation but can you imagine your life without internet? Remember when we had to use encyclopedias to get information for reports in schools. Ha, oh how things have changed.

I'm not going to review The Help because, well, because I don't want to. I enjoyed it, and I read it fast, and I haven't seen the movie and I do recommend it. The end. 

I am going to tell you about some awesome pancakes. What does this have to do with The Help? Only that when I was looking for a recipe on Pinterest for some peanut butter pancakes, this one came up. And it's supposedly Rosa Park's recipe. And she was black, if you didn't know that, and she had a major roll in the civil right's movement. And that's what leads me back to The Help

Ok so pancake recipe. We were trying to figure out what to have for lunch and instead of a PB&J which Mercy would just destroy and Grace would take an hour to eat, I was thinking about PB&J pancakes. So jumped on Pinterest. I love Pinterest. What did we do before it? Oh ya, Google search. 

Decided to have the girls help me. Here's some pics. And video cause they're cute.




They each had a part and we survived it mostly mess free. Mercy was trying to eat the peanut butter out of the liquid stuff. Ewww. Raw eggs. The recipe calls for 2 TBSP baking powder. I only had 1. But luckily I have a cook book that has a list of substitutions and you cane make baking powder by mixing baking soda and cream of tarter. Both of those I had. Score!

Here's some cute videos. I love my kids. 

Mercy is too damn cute for her own good. Seriously. 





Here's how the pancakes turned out. I actually make them today too cause they're good. 

I hate chemistry and I know that's all involved in baking and stuff. You should have seen the bowl before I started cooking 'em up. The baking powder made the batter fluff up like a pillow. That's what makes these so good. And the peanut butter. I think next time I might experiment with honey instead of sugar. I got some fresh honey straight from the hive and I think that would pair well with the peanut butter. And maybe some bananas. Mmmmmm.












No comments:

Post a Comment